Wednesday, February 26, 2025

The days ahead

 Life is busy and all the people around me are involved in countless varying efforts and life events. It's a kaleidoscope that's mostly colorful, bright and positive, however, there is darkness too--the darkness of people's personal persistent troubles, heartless harmful government leaders, and selfish dangerous choices. As I think of this landscape, I'm thinking once again about priorities--what's important, what can I do, and how shall I choose?

I've had to take a strong stand against dangerous behaviors and actions by some--I can't support efforts or situations that put people in danger physically or psychologically. I know that I'm often more cautious than some, but I have to stick to my values, insights, and perspectives in this regard. For example, I witnessed a potentially dangerous behavior by a loved one recently. I alerted others who dismissed the behavior thinking that I'm too cautious--they don't respect or believe my observations or warnings. I have to accept that, and if their lack of respect or acknowledgement of my observations pose a more dangerous threat to the person involved, I'll have to take more steps to ensure the individual's safety, but for now, my words mark a warning, but not a severe threat. Am I wrong in the situation--I'm thinking about that and while I'm not wrong, I do acknowledge that I am a very cautious person who sides with prevention in most situations rather than waiting until danger cannot be ignored. 

My cautious nature is one reason why I was never "cool" in life. While others were taking risks, I was taking the side of safety most of the time. That didn't make me popular, but for the most part, it did keep me safe. I accept that part of me. 

As I move ahead, what's important in life? You will see that my list doesn't change much, but I have to remind myself of these values all the time since these values are often challenged. 

Warm, welcoming home

I love having a warm, welcoming home, and to keep my home warm and welcoming requires considerable weekly efforts. I love the fact that I'm able to welcome loved ones to my home often and when they are here they are comfortable. This is important to me. 

Contribution

I found a manageable part-time education job that allows me to contribute my teaching knowledge and skill in ways that help others. I enjoy the work and I am happy to contribute. 

Self care

Since I grew up helping others more than taking care of myself, this area of life requires greater attention. As a child I lived in a home with a steady routine of helping others. I derive a lot of joy from helping others, but it's clear that if I don't take good care of myself, I'll be unable to help others. 

Positive relationships

I want to nurture the good relationships I have and make more good relationships. Like my gardening efforts, this aim requires constant, positive attention. 

Gardening

Gardening brings me great joy--it's so good for me and provides me with beautiful flowers and wonderful vegetables that I can give to others. I love it!

Political action

I am discouraged with our current leaders in the United States. I want to work with others to relieve our country of the current selfish, damaging leaders and replace those leaders with people who support a country where EVERYONE has the opportunity to live good lives true to themselves. 

Writing and reflection

I love to reflect about life via writing, reading, watching good shows, observation and experiences. I will continue these efforts. 

Onward. 

Grandson

  Grand-parenting is a new life chapter for me.  I have the gift of spending many hours a week with my grandson. Like all children, he is a ...