Tuesday, August 26, 2025

Alzheimer's presents an alien-like experience

As humans most of us respond to life's situations with a view of the past, present, and future all at once, but when you're with someone with advanced Alzheimer's disease, you are simply dealing with the present, not the past and not the future. It's a strange experience to deal with the very moment you're in rather than any reflection of past and present. What works in situations like this?

As I think of this single focus on the present, I realize that this presents the challenge to make the single moment you're in, as good as possible. There is a freedom here with regard to the fact that there's no reminders of past errors or sadness and there's not expectation for the moments ahead. The only desire is that the single moment that you are in is a positive, warm, and happy moment. 

What creates warm, happy, and positive moments?

Simple actions that provide physical comfort such as a kiss, holding hands, a warm embrace, walking together, or a comforting touch bring peace in the moment. 

Good food that's easy to eat, tasty, and fresh bring happiness and sustenance. 

Pleasant scenery of children playing, beautiful natural settings, and good people doing their jobs is entertaining. 

Wonderful, comforting music and uncomplicated, simple, happy shows set in familiar time periods bring warmth too. 

Comfortable furniture and simple, welcoming settings similarly provide warmth as well. 

Being surrounded by familiar, warm, and loving people provides a positive experience in the moment too. 

As I plan for my next outing with my loved one with Alzheimer's, I want to remember these characteristics that bring living in the moment warmth, comfort, and happiness. Onward. 

Living in an age of social media and artificial intelligence

 I've resisted writing this post as it's been difficult to wrap my brain around the fact that I've grown old alongside the evolu...