Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Adapting to changing times and events

 During the COVID years, I sought the light in the dark. At that time, I became involved in a number of activities that brought people together online and offline. Now well past COVID isolation, some of those activities planned to bring people together are no longer popular since people have moved out in a large number of life directions. So it's time to rethink again about what events and practices will remain and what will be retired or revised. 

Beach Meet-Up

The beach meet-up was planned to bring family members together for a positive day at the beach. We stared at one beach that proved to be too difficult for some to access. Then we moved to another beach that had greater accessibility which was a great find at first, but now many who had accessibility issues no longer desire a day at the beach for all kinds of reasons, so I think we'll change the beach again next year. I'll query those who are interested and then choose a new beach and date. 

Holiday women's party

It's been nice seeing so many relatives at the holidays, however relatives' and friends' families have grown and changed in the past few years leaving less time for extended friend and family holiday events. We may or may not continue this tradition. 

Friend and family get togethers

Again the fact that families have grown and changed impacts these get togethers. The addition of babies to our family alone spells change since babies affect schedules and the types of events planned. So this is an area of review. As my friends and I age, I find that budgets affect get togethers more since people want to make sure they have the money they need for their most precious family and friend events. 

Adventures

Now with my caregiving tasks greatly reduced, there's more time and energy for adventures. I love a good adventure and I've increased the time for adventures in my schedule.

As one who often thinks she can do more than she can realistically do, I have to think carefully about the kinds of events and schedules that are doable so I don't make promises I can't keep. Onward. 


Living in an age of social media and artificial intelligence

 I've resisted writing this post as it's been difficult to wrap my brain around the fact that I've grown old alongside the evolu...