Monday, July 27, 2026

Summer fun and traditions

 A relative called me recently to note that they had wished they made a different choice regarding a summer event. I noted that every summer I think about the choices I've made with regard to family and friend fun and adventure to determine what traditions will stay, what traditions will change, and what traditions may be added or deleted to the mix. Summer is a short period of time that we look forward to all year round so you don't want to waste a minute, but you also have to be mindful of your obligations, budget, and abilities too.

As I think about this summer so far and summers to come, I can say that mostly I enjoy time in beautiful places with people I love. I also love the kind of adventures I'm able to partake in such a walk on the beach, a bike ride, a paddle, and discovering new places that I've never been to before as well as long-loved locations. 

Specifically there are types of events and endeavors that I want to continue this summer and into the future including those listed below.

Gardening

I love the challenge of growing a good garden that provides some diverse beauty with regard to the colors, shapes, and sizes of flowers and plants. I also love a garden that provides food that is easy and healthy to access. For example, last night when we returned home, I was able to go outside and pick enough veggies to make a good salad. So I'll continue gardening with the challenge of growing healthy, hardy plants that bring us beauty and nutrition. 

Adventure

I love the adventure of seeing new places as well as visiting the places I truly enjoy in the northeast. I also love coupling those adventures with family and friends that I love. This year so far we've enjoyed visits to New York, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, and Maine. We've spent time on lakes, in the mountains, and at the beach. In the days ahead we'll camp on Cape Cod near the bike trails, ponds, and beaches. We'll meet-up with friends and family at beaches often since my family loves the beach and we'll likely fit in more paddles and bike rides in beautiful places. 

Travel

I like to think about the question,  Are you more of a nomad or a settler?, since that question points to your travel/adventure lifestyle. For me, when it comes to summer vacation, I'm a local nomad as I truly love the northeast landscape and I never tire of visiting new places and old favorites in the northeast during the summer time. At other times in the year, when I have the time and resources, I enjoy exploring places outside of the northeast now and then. I also enjoy being home and enjoying my favorite people and pastimes. 

So as I think of the summer schedule for me this year and into the future, the main ingredients are loving friends and family, simple adventures, and beautiful natural locations. Onward. 

Grandson

  Grand-parenting is a new life chapter for me.  I have the gift of spending many hours a week with my grandson. Like all children, he is a ...