I grew up with a strong family culture. We knew members of our extended and intimate family well, and spent lots of time with them. There were many beloved traditions that we continued years after year. Yet, as a family grows out in many directions, that growth challenges the family culture you knew so well for so long. I thought about this today as I looked over the calendar of events to come. As I've mentioned before, I don't want to lose anyone in my life yet I want to add wonderful new people too as well as acknowledge the natural changes that occur as families grow and change.
So with the summer months upon us, I'm thinking about the many wonderful events, people, activities, and places that contribute to the culture I want to nurture and promote.
Care
I want to be part of a caring culture, and to do that means that I have to make time in my schedule regularly to care for those I love in the ways that I can. There's always the question of how much time and what activities constitute good care, and I will grapple with that question each week as I adhere to a routine of care that includes visits, engagement, providing for basic needs, and more.
Joy
I'm drawn to joyous occasions and I love to plan events that I believe will translate into joy for my loved ones.
Responsibility
It's essential to be as responsible as you can by making time to get the chores done, pay the bills, and do your part with regard to every group that you live and work with.
Health
Making time for healthy living is vital--you can't give or nurture a positive culture if you don't look out for your health.
Contribution
I want to carve out more time to contribute to the greater culture mostly to lead to change with regard to leadership in the United States. Right now we have too many lawless, manipulative, racist, self-serving leaders, and I want to help to replace those selfish, destructive leaders with leaders who are honest, intelligent, caring, and working for the common good.
Onward.