Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Letting go?

 Years ago in the midst of a very busy schedule and limited resources, I let go of a friendship. Later I tried to rekindle the friendship with little success. Should I have let go? In hindsight, I wish I had taken a break from the relationship and then worked to rethink the boundaries related to that relationship. Our lives had changed a lot, and our lifestyles were quite different, but we could have recreated our friendship. That said, I'm not sure that my friend was interested in that as her life was taking off in a very fast and much different way than mine. 

There comes junctures in the road where you consider that "letting go" proposition. At these times you ask yourself, "Should I pursue this path, relationship, or endeavor; or should I let go and move on." In most cases I think it's best to take a break and recreate the relationship structure rather than make a clean break, but in some cases, perhaps, a blunt break may be best. 

Letting go is a consideration that we face with regard to all kinds of endeavors, mindsets, and goals, not just relationships alone. 

Letting go of worry

There are worrisome situations in life. You may or may not have much control over some situations in life. To readily give up control is usually not a good idea, but after using the capacity you have to impact a situation with little to no success, you may decide to let go of the worry and let life take its course. That happened to me recently--the issue became too big for me. For years I had tried to control the situation in positive ways--I wanted the best outcome and I wanted to contribute with my best ability, but there were many aspects of the situation I didn't have control over and that I could not impact. Finally after a cavalcade of events, it was clear to me that I just had to accept the situation as it is. There's mostly peace with my decision though I do admit that I find myself looking over the related timeline of events now and then to ensure that I did everything I could to perhaps create a somewhat better outcome. Worry is positive during the time when you are considering all the options--worry leads you to think about the many paths you can take, but there comes a point when you have to let go of worry and that's the point when acceptance is the best choice. 

Letting go of relationships

Rather than let go, I want to redefine the relationships in my life that are facing change. One big factor that affects relationships is your time and your commitments. As families grow and change, our responsibilities and needs change too. This reality greatly affects your relationships which means you have to rethink those relationships often to nurture success. 

Letting go of goals

As you age, you will find yourself letting go of some goals that you have always had or have had for a long time. Age, resources, interests, and abilities will make some long-held goals now impossible. This is when it's time to make new goals as I believe goals do help us to live positive, intentional, meaningful lives. 

Today as I move ahead, I want to think about the areas of life where I'll let go, redefine, and/or start. Onward. 

Grandson

  Grand-parenting is a new life chapter for me.  I have the gift of spending many hours a week with my grandson. Like all children, he is a ...