As much as possible I want to live a life with no regrets.
As I look back, for the most part, I've always tried to live a life with no regrets, and in most cases I spoke up and acted when I thought it was important. I don't regret that.
The regrets I do have came from ignorance more than intent. I let some friendships go because at the time I wasn't thoughtful enough to preserve the friendships. I was involved in other relationships that took up the lion's share of my time and attention, and I neglected some of those precious, old time, good relationships. A few years ago, I reached out to those friends, and was able to renew the relationships in some cases which is very nice. One of my greatest regrets was my inability to successfully make a difference in some areas of my teaching career. If I had a bit more savvy and political wisdom, I may have been able to effect more positive change in educational systems. Fortunately throughout life, I had a strong base of good values that I learned from my intimate and extended families, my church, and the schools I attended. I relied on those values countless times when making decisions in life, and that has served me well. I also benefitted from the fact that I belonged to the majority culture thus not facing the grave prejudice and injustices many who belonged to other groups have faced over time. I recognize that privilege. I also benefitted from some sheer luck too as anyone who has had a good life realizes.
I want to continue to live life with as few regrets as possible. I know that there will be regrets due to the fact that no one's vision and values are complete. We are always learning, and will have regrets based on ignorance and unknowing.
How will I live without regrets?
Honesty matters
It is always best to be honest from the start. If we lie and live with untruths, we set the stage for grave regrets. Yes, it's difficult to be honest sometimes, but it is the right thing to do.
Humility matters
We won't know it all or be it all. We all have shortcomings, and if we recognize and own those shortcomings, that humility will serve us and others better.
Use your gifts generously and wisely
While we all have shortcomings, we also all have gifts, and when we use our gifts generously and widely, we live good lives ourselves and help others to have good lives too. It's positive to recognize your gifts and use those gifts to uplift your own life and the lives around you.
Make time to know people deeply and respectfully
Everyone is different, and the more we respect those differences and learn to know others with depth and interest, the better our lives will be and the better we will be able to befriend and work with others.
Do what you can to help others
We won't have all that others need, but if we do have something that someone needs, it's important to reach out to help.
Advocate and work for a more just world
In the end, if we live our lives in ways that contribute to a good world for ourselves and others, we will likely have few regrets.
Onward.