During yesterday's reunion events, I found myself thinking about the question, What can I do for you? During the homily at mass, Father Morrill reminded us that God is present in the tough times--that is where we see and find God. His message was far deeper than that, and a message I want to reflect more on, but as I tried to visualize the meaning in Morrill's words, I was reminded of those in my life who are suffering now and that when I'm in the midst of their suffering, I know God is present.
Also during the Sanctae Crucis Awards Ceremony, I listened to stories of deep work and conviction related to helping others. I heard my former high school and college classmate, Sheila Cavanaugh call us to be present in the midst of need and suffering.
So today as I ponder the question, What can I do for you?, I am thinking about those in my midst who are suffering. As Cavanaugh advises, I want to be present, and as Morrill taught, I want to recognize God in those moments. Both of these champions of humanity exhibit a quiet confidence and conviction with relation to how to live life and serve others. I am grateful that I had the chance to hear their words at mass and during the awards ceremony. Onward.