I was hurt recently by a series of events. I played a role in the hurt, an unintentional role, but a role nevertheless. Why do we get hurt? How can we avoid hurt since it causes pain?
As a sensitive person, I get hurt a lot. I get hurt more than I want to, and that's why I want to explore this feeling today.
Hurt can be caused by being called out for something you've done such as hurting someone else or neglecting to do what someone expects. Hurt happens when you're left out or not taken seriously. Hurt happens when someone is dishonest, overly judgmental, and/or critical.
The hurt I felt recently rose from expectations not met and tough accusations--some true and some not true. I was hurt that someone would think I would do actions I didn't do, but I was also hurt by the fact that I didn't have the smarts to avoid some hurtful behaviors towards others. Thus a lesson learned.
So what to do about hurt?
First, if you're hurt, and you've caused the event, learn the lesson so you don't get hurt that way again.
Next, if you're hurt by others, assess the situation. Is there something you can do to erase that hurt or not repeat that hurt? If so, do what you can.
Also, are you being too serious? Should you just let the hurt go with the thought that hurt that happens is often not purposeful, but instead the result of a series of events or words spoken without the intent to hurt.
Also, if you are repeatedly hurt by a same source, you need to investigate what's going on with that event.
For example, a series of similar events hurt me recently. I tried to work around that situation in a number of ways which didn't make any change so now I realize that this hurt is the product of an intentional effort by another, an effort I can't ignore, and an effort that prompts me to change expectations.
We will get hurt in life, but hopefully with some analysis and positive action, we won't get hurt that often. Onward.