People enjoy a myriad of relationships, and I believe that finding the sweet spots for the relationships you enjoy is a positive focus. For example, I have a number of friends, and with each of them there are different ways that we enjoy time. With some friends, we enjoy analyzing anything and everything since analysis is a passion for me and for them. With others, bike riding may be the sweet spot or music or lunches out or gardening or grand-parenting or traveling or some mix of one or more of those endeavors.
What's difficult is when one person in the relationship desires something different from the other. In more intimate, close relationships, that usually leads to compromise, but in more superficial, casual relationships that can be a deal breaker because you may not have the time or will for the other's focus. That's when, as a friend noted recently, the friendship seems to peal-away and you go in your own direction mostly leaving that friendship behind.
Life continually evolves and as life evolves so do your relationships. I'm thinking about that. Onward.