We cleaned out my parents' home yesterday. As I cleaned, I knew a story about almost every item. I remember the pride my parents showed when they chose special fixtures for the lighting in the house. I thought about the care my mother would take when setting a table or decorating for the holidays. And there were countless items that spoke of my parents long history including my dad's service with in the Coast Guard and my mom's love of clothing. Many items in the house were tossed simply because they were worn out. Like many in their final years, my parents were not remaking their home, but instead living with the comfort of long owned and loved items. There were other items, however, mostly decorative items that we divided up since those items represent who my parents were and what they valued--when we use those items, we will think about our parents and their good lives.
After that long day of cleaning, I now want to clean up my own home which is also filled with many items. I want to box items that hold little value and give them away to make room for the items I took from my parents home.
As I think about the items I have and want to keep, I realize those items belong to the following categories:
Cooking and entertaining
I want those cooking and entertaining items easily accessible and sufficient for family and friend gatherings.
Holidays
Like many, I enjoy decorating a bit for the holidays. I have one chest that holds those items.
Clothing
I want clothing and shoes for each season and for the activities I engage in.
Activity-related items including camping, beach trips, gardening, yard work, biking, winter sports, toys, and books.
Time to get started.