Saturday, September 19, 2026

Boundaries

 A couple of nightmares kept me awake last night. When that happens, I usually research the symbolism of what happened in the dream, and last night's dreams clearly pointed to the theme of boundaries. Keeping good boundaries keeps people comfortable, and when your boundaries go awry people become uncomfortable. Sometimes I purposely break boundaries because I think that's what has to happen, but at other times I may exceed boundary lines without thinking and I don't like that as I want to respect people's needed boundaries. I don't want to make people uncomfortable. 

Some boundaries are the age old boundaries related to the old time belief that you shouldn't talk about religion, money, or politics. I don't wholly believe in that old time belief, but I do believe in that saying in part. Religion, politics, and money are very sensitive, personal topics, and if you do talk about those topics you have to be thoughtful, aware, and sensitive. How people spend their money, time, and energy is a sensitive topic--people make lots of different choices in those arenas, and many of those decisions can be thoughtful, positive decisions. Of course, we all can err in those arenas too--we may expend too much money, energy, and time on choices that we eventually realize are not positive or we may not spend enough money, time, or energy on choices that really matter to our well being and the well being of others. 

Similarly the area of religion is very personal because to belong to a religion can mean many different things to people. Some people adhere to a religion's rules and beliefs tightly while others have a more loose interpretation of what it means to belong to that religion. People also may hold long-held prejudices related to religions, prejudices that have no foundation in truth. And politics, I think one reason that we have such poor leaders right now is because discussion of politics was discouraged. We need to discuss politics, but we need to discuss that truthfully and thoughtfully with open minds and honest information. 

As I move ahead, I want to be more aware of the boundaries that keep our relationships warm, loving, and positive. In most cases, people like the freedom to be who they are and do what they want to do. People don't want people telling them what to do, but most people enjoy exchanges about life's choices, life's good times, and even life's struggles sometimes. 

Bottom line, I want the best for everyone. I want people to live lives that lift themselves up and also lift those around them up. Onward. 

Do we create unnecessary stress?

 As part of a health study I am participating in, I went to a talk about stress the other night. I left there realizing that I was using the...