We talk a lot about health in society, but we don't talk a lot about energy management. We all have a particular range of energy, and we all have some power over how we maximize that energy to match our interests and meet our goals in life. I think about energy management a lot since as an idealist, my mind is filled with multiple ideas that far exceed my energy so I have to continually work at maximizing my energy while refining my ideas and goals too.
I'm thinking about energy management this morning because there's a lot going on, and I want to use my energy well during this period so that my actions match my vision as closely as possible. So what's on the agenda?
Child care
I'm responsible for a fair amount of child care and that's a good match for my skills, abilities, and interests. The key to good child care, in part, is having optimal energy. A lethargic caregiver is never as good as an energized caregiver. So to do well in this job, I need to get good rest in order to care for the children and have some time to research and reflect about what I am doing with the children in my charge.
Self care
Self care for me, too often, is an afterthought. This is probably true because my imagination and dreams usually trump my more practical side. That said, I know that self care is essential and that includes taking care of my overall health, relationships, finances and more to live as healthy and happy a life as possible.
Connections
Building and maintaining good connections is imperative for good living. Finding the sweet spots in relationships not only benefits the relationship, but that endeavor energizes you too.
Home care and work
Having a warm, welcoming place to gather with friends and family enriches life. When your home is simple and easy to manage that creates more time and energy for other activities as well.