Thursday, April 10, 2025

Leaving a job

 I made the decision to step down from a small part-time job I had for the past year recently. I stepped down because the leadership was making it impossible to do the kind of work I like to do. The ways that leadership failed include the following:

  • inconsistent communication
  • a lack of a doable, thoughtful collective plan of action
  • little attention to individual worker's skills, contributions, needs
The leadership had some good qualities including these:
  • respectful communication and kindness
  • a true commitment to the essence of the organizatin
Essentially the position offered little opportunity for the kind of positive challenge, development, success, consistent income, and contribution that I seek in the work I do. 

I could have sat down and tried to make change in this organization, but that would have taken lots and lots of time, time which I don't have or want to contribute. I did reach out once to offer greater consult in this arena, but my consult was not welcome so I don't think I could have made the change at this time. In time, I believe the leadership will organize the program more in positive ways. In many ways this organization is still reacting to the COVID impact and now the negative impact the Republican Administration is having on almost all programs that benefit people, the environment, and our society. 

In contrast, I have a part-time job in a very well organized department of a public school system. In that job, I am able to positively contribute, learn, make a consistent welcome wage, and know what's ahead with regular, positive communication. This is an ideal part-time job for me now. 

As I consider this situation, it's clear to see that some jobs are a good fit and some jobs are not. It's important to always be on the lookout for jobs that match your needs, interests now and into the future. What I'm looking for as a retired teacher is much different than what a young person looking to build a positive career is looking for. For example, if a young teacher was working in the job I left, that person could contribute extra hours, learn a lot, and eventually help to build and forward the organization. That could be very positive for a person's career. 

In a third position, I considered, it was clear that the leader was looking to essentially use people to make lots of money with little concern or support for the worker. I quickly cancelled that application as I like to work with a team that has a positive, community purpose--I don't like to work for organizations that put profit ahead of service, good work, or positivity. Onward. 

Grandson

  Grand-parenting is a new life chapter for me.  I have the gift of spending many hours a week with my grandson. Like all children, he is a ...