As I think about negativity today, I'm thinking about what makes me negative.
As a young person, I became negative when my home or schools didn't take my needs seriously ad supported efforts that made me feel alone, unloved, and disrespected. I remember distinctly when one family member was essentially taking over the house. I became angry because of lack of voice or space during those days. At school, it was similar. I became angry when some were given great privilege and power while others were overlooked. From my earliest days, I desired justice.
As an employee, dishonesty and secrets made me negative. When decisions were made without transparency or regard for all those impacted, that frustrated me and made me negative. Also when people were dishonest, I would become negative. Further, when people acted against children's needs and rights, that angered me too. With friends, a lack of reciprocity often makes me negative, yet I've come to recognize that there are many levels of reciprocity--some are always reciprocal and others are sometimes reciprocal and that differentiation occurs due to many, many factors.
Our current administration at the federal level makes me negative since the administration makes decision after decision that disregards what people and the planet need to thrive. Instead the current administration uplifts a few while letting far too many people places down all over the world.
I don't want to be a negative person. I don't like what negativity does to all the people who come in contact with that negativity. I also don't want to deny life's challenges and bad events--bad things do happen and life is not happy all the time. Yet, I want to look for the light in the dark rather than adding to the darkness. How can I do that?
First, the way we use language can lift up or take down people. Positive language even in the most difficult times creates greater positivity.
Working for positive values and experiences also spreads positivity. For example, one of my loved ones lives amongst difficult challenges, but that person also has access to great positivity by way of activities, family members, conversation, and enjoyable challenges. I want to bring the light rather than stay mired in the difficulty that could take over in this situation.
Staying value-centered is another way to stay positive. When you have good human values, your life tends to be more positive.
Planning joyful events brings positivity. Making the time to recognize the positivity around us and celebrate that positivity uplifts most people.
Engaging in the arts brings joy and positivity.
Honing your talents and interests also brings joy.
In life, even in the most difficult situations, there is the opportunity to look for the light and be as positive as possible. That positivity is a gift to the people around you and your own life too. That's the path I choose to take. Onward.