When it comes to care, there are many different perspectives about what good care looks like. Looking back and forward to care situations I'm aware of, I didn't realize how complex the world of care can be. Today I'm thinking about the landscape of care wondering what is good care, and how do we provide good care for ourselves and those we love and care for.
In my opinion, good care, in general, is about providing the kind of nurturing that keeps people safe, happy, and engaged in ways that they can engage.
A safe, welcoming environment
When it comes to care, a safe, welcoming environment is very important. There will be differences of opinions when it comes to levels of safety and the look of welcoming. For me, I like a clean, simple, natural setting that provides the level of care needed. For example, those who are very ill, very old or very young likely need 24-7 care. Where can you find a welcoming, inviting, safe 24-7 environment for care? In the best possible world, regulations would expect all care facilities to be clean, inviting, and offering the level of care needed by the people hosted there.
Good pay and professionalism
I desire a culture that prioritizes good care and ensures that those who provide that care are well trained, well paid, and recipients of good benefits too.
Accessible
Good care should be accessible to care providers and the loved ones of those needing care.
Affordable
Good care should be available to all, not just those who are wealthy and privileged.
Onward.