Friday, June 12, 2026

Creating the right parameters

 Situations go well when the parameters are just right or at least close to right, but when the parameters are off kilter, situations usually fail. I thought about this today as I considered a situation that evades right parameters, a situation that occurs again and again, but the parameters simply don't work. How do I redefine the parameters in ways that work?

First, I have to identify what's not working. Generally in this situation there's little support, a lot of expectation, and little common interest or goals. In many ways the situation is a mismatch for me in multiple ways. And when a situation is a mismatch, you have to think even more deeply about what's happening and where the parameters are not a fit. 

What upsets this situation time and again?

  • untruths and lies of ommision
  • competition
  • lack of reciprocity
  • oppressive expectations
  • hurtful, subtle insults
What works for this situation?
  • some common goals
  • shared history, both positive and not so positive
  • spirited creativity and endeavor at times
As I consider these factors, I also wonder how I may have propagated these parameters. I think I have not been clear enough about what works and what doesn't work. I've let too much go and letting things go has only contributed to a rise in these unhelpful and hurtful parameters. 

As the days move ahead, I want to take a step back to consider the struggle this situation has created. I don't want to take the oppression anymore, but instead seek peaceful and positive endeavor in this arena. I don't want to let the subtle insults and put-downs continue, but instead I want to speak up about that when it happens in a positive, proactive way. 

Right now life is complicated. I want to take a break from alll the busyness to spend time in my garden, my family, and in peaceful places. Onward. 


Grandson

  Grand-parenting is a new life chapter for me.  I have the gift of spending many hours a week with my grandson. Like all children, he is a ...