Thursday, June 25, 2026

Days without dad

 My relationship with dad was my longest lasting relationship, and now he has transitioned from the world we know. How will I move ahead?

First, I know that my family and I did all we could to support dad. Was it perfect? Probably not, but we did do our best with a number of unfamiliar factors, and for the most part, Dad had a positive final chapter of life. I'm happy about that. 

Now that he is gone, I want to be intentional about how I will move ahead of this death, and which of Dad's traits will I bring forward in my own life.

Dad was almost always positive with his words and actions. I want to do the same. As my sister described, he was always welcoming to anyone who came to his home and he was always happy to see us. In his later years, he reserved comment in trying situations, and made the best of tense or difficult situations. I want to coach myself to have similar patience and positivity in the years ahead. 

Dad, as I've explained in previous posts, enjoyed life. I want to do the same. There is so much to enjoy in life and I want to seek that joy with my friends and family via activities and places that bring me joy. I don't expect that I'll become a golfer like Dad, but I will engage in lots of outdoor adventures with friends and family similar to dad. 

I will care for my family as Dad did--I'll be there for them when they need me, and I'll also support their independence as they navigate their individual paths and interests. Also, similar to Dad, I'll continue to host and be a part of wonderful celebrations for life's accomplishments, anniversaries, and special events. 

And, I'll take care of my home in order to make it warm and welcoming.

Dad provided a good model for good living. He was an honest, humane, positive man who strove to live his best possible life every day. I'll try to do the same. Thanks Dad!

Grandson

  Grand-parenting is a new life chapter for me.  I have the gift of spending many hours a week with my grandson. Like all children, he is a ...