Friday, June 12, 2026

The days ahead; Summer of 2026

 As I've mentioned many times, my early elder years are far busier than I imagined they would be. These years are busy because the people in my life are engaged in multiple transitions and life events, the world is ever changing, and social media has added a new complexity to the landscape of living--we are much more informed about the daily events of people and places than in the days before social media. 

As I often do, I planned a number of positive events to look forward to for this summer, and as expected there's been the addition of many unexpected events and expectations too. I didn't plan for illness, unexpected life changes, weather events, or other situations that force a change of plans, but I did know that would happen. 

So what will the Summer of 2026 be like? How will I roll with the changes and still enjoy the events planned? 

As always, it's important to keep my values up front. I want to treat everyone with respect, but I also don't want to be a doormat for disrespectful, uncaring, and hurtful behaviors. In part I'm super sensitive to this as too often in life, I've endured disrespect mostly because I was a woman in a male-dominated world. I've also endured disrespect because I value honesty and too many others are too willing to lie or simply avoid sharing honest information. So I will continue to value and engage in truthful share even when that communication may be difficult. 

I'll also remain a planner, planning ahead so that I'm ready for the positive plans in the works. I know the plans may change, and I'll adapt as needed, but in general I'll stick to the good plans and communicate the related information as needed and desired for those involved. 

I'll also work to give myself more space to engage in the activities that center me and lead me to do my best work in life. Activities such as service to others in areas where I have what they need, gardening, homemaking, writing, and creating fall into this arena. 

It will be a mostly positive summer. 

Grandson

  Grand-parenting is a new life chapter for me.  I have the gift of spending many hours a week with my grandson. Like all children, he is a ...