Yesterday I met an individual who was dealt a totally unjust life event. There's no rationale for the "heaping bowl of sadness" as Ralph Fletcher would describe it that she was dealt. When I learned of the event, I was ever so sad, and yesterday hearing first hand about the incident only made me sadder, and a bit afraid too. No one wishes for a "heaping bowl of sadness," but we know that happens in life.
Recently, I was witness to another event like this. In that situation, a person's loved one had met with a life altering accident. The woman was left with two young children and a very ill husband. Just to witness this was ever so sad making me realize that as a society we have to be there for people who meet with these unjust, life altering, ever-so-sad events. No one asks for tragedy.
On the other hand, as we celebrate my dad's life in the next few days, we will be sad, but we will also be grateful for the long, healthy life my dad had. When he was failing in the past few weeks, I didn't see any other avenue than death. His body was failing in ways that science can't fix yet--he didn't like that; he wanted his health and independence back. I didn't have that magic wand, and watching his neighbor, a young man facing a grave illness, shed light on his condition and the situation.
I'm all fall for supporting science that works to improve everyone's opportunity to live long, healthy, positive lives. When we compare life today to life fifty years ago, we see many positive changes even though our current administration has forced a giant back step in this realm with their greedy, dumb, self-serving leadership. Hopefully change will come soon that will put us back on track with regard to improving people's lives rather than harming and hurting people day in and day out.
So to summarize this wandering post, how do we deal with unfair actions? I guess the answer is that we support efforts to comfort and support those who face those events, and we work with others to encourage and support the kind of science and other efforts to prevent such unfair, life-altering events. Onward.