| My grandnephew and me after our 12-mile bike ride. |
When I woke up early this morning, I came across this wonderful post about healthy aging and the challenge of the ages 65-75 years. Just hearing someone confirm that this stage of life is both challenging and important made me feel a lot better about the challenges I've experienced recently with relationships, decision making, and creating an optimal schedule for myself--the post made me realize, I'm not alone, and in fact, this is a normal aspect of the 65-75 age range.
After listening to this post and another related, similarly inspiring post, I came to some conclusions about my own life at this stage.
Gardening is good
Honestly gardening has been literally a lifesaver for me because everything about it spells healthy aging and good living. Gardening provides lots of good exercise, nutritious foods, meaningful activity, and something of value to share with friends and relatives.
Spending time with children is positive
The spirit, energy, and needs of children are a great match for me as I age since we complement each other. I have an open mind and time to listen to children and respond to their needs in meaningful ways while children motivate me to be active in multiple, positive ways. For example riding bikes with my grand-nephew has been a perfect complement. I love listening to and affirming his thoughts and stories, and I also love the way his energy and enthusiasm motivate me to move in positive ways.
Spending meaningful, active time with friends and family is positive
Planning events that include healthy food, activity, and fun is positive for all involved.
Household projects, chores, and routines provide a good source of meaningful activity
I don't love the repetition of many exercise routines, but I do love learning about and completing household projects. When I complete these projects I engage in positive activity similar to exercising.
Learning is advantageous
I love to learn and I especially love to learn about events and activities that make my life more meaningful and positive. For example, I enjoy learning about new recipes for cooking, ways to garden, and travel options.
Crafting a positive daily and weekly routine makes healthy aging a natural process
I want to work on this.
My parents generally engaged in healthy aging because they stayed social, active, and engaged with family and friends. I want to do the same. It's not about who lives the longest, but instead about everyone doing what they can to live a meaningful later life chapter.