As life moves ahead, what matters most will change. For example, my young adult children are busy building their lives including where they work, live, and who they live with, the families they create, and how they spend time. I remember those years. In so many ways the building of life is all consuming. In fact many people refer to those years as a blur when they look back because the years are very, very busy.
At the stage I'm at now, a stage of grand-parenting, adult children, and retirement, it is no longer a stage of building, but instead a stage of refinement, enjoyment, and giving. I suppose we could continue to build at this stage, but for what--do we need more or do we need better instead. I vote for better rather than more.
What matters is what makes life good right now, and that leads me back to the same mantra I've been writing about for a long time, a mantra that includes a warm, welcoming home, positive loving relationships, a few wonderful adventures, good-as-possible health, and helping others too.
So how do I maintain a life that centers on what matters to me going forward?
A warm, welcoming home
This is a same old, same old effort to reduce the items in my home to a bare minimum, and doing the work it takes to make the home warm and welcoming. I'm not opting for fancy, but instead simple comfort. Regular routines of cleaning and updating is what's required now.
Positive relationships
This is the arena of the most challenge right now since the lives of people all around me are changing rapidly in a large array of ways. Some are having babies, some are getting married, some are retiring, some are facing tough challenges, some live far away and some are moving away. How do you keep relationships warm and loving amidst all that change?
Reaching out is important. Even when some don't reach back, it's important to reach out. Then when people reach back, it's important to spend meaningful time together, and to recognize that meaningful time looks different for different relationships. Figuring out the sweet spot for relationships is key in this regard--what is it that works for you and the ones you love and care about?
Wonderful adventures
Everyone has different interests when it comes to the free time they have. For me, I love simple adventures with loved ones. In this regard, I enjoy the mix of novelty and tradition too. I enjoy planning adventures almost as much as engaging in adventures.
Helping others
I want to be there for others in ways that I can. There will be situations where I am unable to help, but if I am able to help, I want to do that and make that a regular part of my life routine.
Right now, this is what matters to me. I may add to this in the days to come, but for now, it's my guiding light. Onward.