I've been witness to a loved one's struggle over the past few years. At first, I was angry that this loved one couldn't get a grasp on his struggles, but now I'm just praying that he can find a way out of the grave challenge he is experiencing.
As a child, I similarly witnessed the struggle of several loved ones who dealt with severe issues related to addiction. These loved ones lost some or all control due to the effects of addiction--this was very sad and worrisome to see.
I've tried to help without any success. Others have tried to help too. When looking back, I can see how this situation may have grown to the depth and despair it now represents. Much of the story is due to ignorance --people in charge simply didn't understand the struggle that was building.
As I think of this grave situation in general, I realize that it's important to combat tough issues when those issues are small rather than wait until those issues grow. Onward.